Album Review
Hello my fellow music, and happy September! I am reviewing Black Veil Brides's new album Vindicate! Now I've already reviewed a couple songs individually off this album, but this time I'm analyzing them as whole with the entirety of the album. (The instrumental songs, will also get a review. But they will shorter, since there's no lyrics) So let's get into it!
Track 1. Invocation To The Muse
Starting with the intro, we have this organ playing. It sounds really cool. Then we have speaking from Andy. "Im my darkest moments I know they never believed, you can see it in their eyes, body language, the silence. I wonder if you feel that too, so often in life we find ourself swallowed in insults. It burns. The fire of hatred and agony, swelling inside. You can attempt to keep it down but you know the truth, you won't forgive. You shouldn't forgive. All that power you can possess, from vengeance. From knowing they are wrong, grasp it, never let it go. Never break, never bend, never kneel. Every doubt, every slight, every time they turn away. Keep it, let it fester. Let it shape you. Carve your name so deep in this world, that they will escape it. No redemption, no forgiveness. Vindicate." I really love this introduction, it sets the scene and the mood for this album. Sometimes a speaking introduction is used for concept albums, and I love that they did this. Andy should act in more projects, because he has a great voice for voice over stuff.
Track 2. Vindicate
This is where the music takes off. The intro, has this almost circus sound to it. Which is interesting. This leads us into the first verse: "I feel the rage begin, boiling in my blood. With all my pride and sin, vindication always starts within. (you). They say that we are born believing, and then they take your soul to steal you. I can feel my anger's driving me, I can hear your screams." I reviewed this song by itself, but doing it again as a collective whole. I think I understand it better now. Also that you in brackets, is screaming. Which sounds really cool. The pre-chorus: "I feel lost, and loud. Everything you say, another sacred vow. Never let it go until you drown." I think they're talking about how, you have the power to speak up and do the right thing. Until the day you die. Or this could be interpreted as living life to the fullest. The chorus: "I know I'll never let it die, all of the memories burn through. And I'll fucking vindicate my life, and bury what's left of you. (You) (You)" Then the chorus takes a different turn, about something else. But I'll let the readers figure out what this means. The second verse: "I'm haunted by the ghosts of my own life. Won't let them die." I know it's a short verse, but there's a lot to be said in this short line. We are haunted by the past, but how we choose to handle it is what's important. The pre-chorus and the chorus repeat. Then we have the bridge, with little instrumentals mixed in. I really like the arrangement of this song as well. The bridge: "Writing down my misery, the dark consuming me. Just another hateful beast, I cannot sleep. Writing down my misery, the dark consuming me. Just another hateful beast, I cannot sleep." That second one, is screaming. I feel like this part of the song, could be interpreted in many different ways, so I'll let the readers find out what it means to them. There's one more instrumental part before the chorus repeats a final time. Then at the end of the song, it's the pre-chorus again. Then the song ends.
Track 3. Certainty
This is another track I reviewed before, but now it's in a different context. The intro, has this haunting sound to it. Almost like a choir. But not exactly. Then it shifts to something darker. With a whisper of "Certainty" in between. This leads us into the first verse: "So certain everyday, you have found the perfect way. To guard the lions from the slaughter you have started. And thank God you never say, what you never meant to say. With iron might, you drink up all your sorrows. (This next part is screamed) Fame is the torch you burn, you decide how it shines." The last part is very profound. How you choose to use your fame, is very important. Because a lot of people abuse their fame. The chorus: "You were lost, and I have tried to save (you were, you were) but something I said has made me the other. Certain of the price that I should pay (you were, you were) all of my pride and fear at the altar." I'm not sure what this part means, but I still like the melody of this chorus. After the chorus, there's an instrumental part. The second verse: "I retrace now, every countdown. And my mind clicks like heartbeats, do you want to cut my tongue out. Serve it up and silence me? You're not the answer to the question, I'm not the savior you thought I'd be. Even still, I wonder do you hear me? When you remember that I bleed?" This whole verse is screamed. I love it. And I love the songwriting on this track. The chorus repeats, and then we have the bridge: "And now I know, that there's something brighter I just can't see. Let it go." It's a short bridge, but still neat. Reviewing this song again, I feel like the connection between this one and the previous song is very prominent. After the bridge, there's an instrumental part. Then the chorus repeats a final time. with a slight change at the end. "And all my pride and fear will take me down." Take that statement as you will. Then the song ends, since this one doesn't really have an outro either.
Track 4. Bleeders
This song is one of my favourites. And the music video is really cool too. This a Sweeny Todd based song, and Andy is a huge Sweeny Todd fan so it's awesome that he got to do a song based on something he loves. The intro, has this spooky vibe to it. It really sets the mood for the context of this song. This will take us into the first verse: "Would you ever believe, that a fire is set each time I try to sleep. With all the beautiful friends, that you always depend. To stay in the light of fame." Not sure what this all means, but I do like how slow and deep the music is on the first verse. The pre-chorus: "They want you there to save a life, but only if you're dressed in what they like. You sin for fun, and fall away. You're just a pawn." I feel like this section could be talking about, how people can be snobby when it comes to dressing "right" and if you don't fit the description that they have in their heads, then they don't take you seriously. The chorus: "Aren't you lucky you're a bleeder, aren't you lucky you're a bleeder. So hold your razor wide (wide) and swing it to the skies. (skies) Aren't you lucky you're a bleeder, do what you need to stay alive." I love the melody of this chorus, and when this released as a single, their band logo was a barbers blade. I thought that was cool. I dont know much about Sweeny Todd, all I know is that he's a barber, and he kills people with the shaving razor. BVB has captured that really well, especially in the music video. The second verse: "It happens every day, and it's still fascinating. How after all this time, that anyone would want this life. Devoid of anything resembling light." In this part, the second verse and the pre-chorus kind of blend into each other here. At least the first part of the pre-chorus does. I think I get what they're saying here, since Sweeny Todd is a dark story, they are implying that no one should want the life of the murderess barber. And instead follow the light in the world. At least that's how I see it. The chorus repeats, then it's the bridge: "When the world feels like an empty pit, and the demons rise around you. Have your vengeance find your salavation. (Tear down) To seek revenge, in hell we end." I don't really have anything to say about this part, other than it's great writing. And Andy's voice is amazing. After the bridge, there's a little instrumental part. Then the chorus repeats, with a little change in the middle. "Aren't you lucky, you're a bleeder, every one of us are bleeders. Every one of us are bleeders." Which is true, we all bleed. I like how this line connects all of us. This track actually has an outro, and it's a heavy drum beat. Then the song is over.
Track 5. Hallelujah
A little lore for this song. When this single first released, I didn't like it. But after I listened to it a few times, I ended up loving it. The intro, starts off with this gospel sounding choir. Then it transfers into this heavy drum and guitar riff. Moving right along into the first verse: "They worship the screen, the digital shrine. Demanding purity while rotting inside, the saints are all sinners, with halos for show. The sins are forgotten the moment you let go, I pray for my failure, I beg for my bood. But heaven stays silent, the gates remain shut." I'm not really sure, what this means. But I like the set up of this verse, it flows really nicely. Then we have the chorus: "Hallelujah my soul, been crucified for letting go. Hallelujah I know, some day you praise what you hate. And suffer exemplary." I think this means, how one day you might think differently about something, but it might turn its back on you. At least that's how I see it. After the chorus, there's an instrumental part. Then the second verse: "They mark the forgotten, they spit on the weak. Brave new saviors tell you just how to think." This part implies how, sometimes people who seem to be on the right side of things, don't always have the best intentions. I think this song, is describing how looks can be decieving. There's actually a little line that sums up what I said. "But saints always sin" this implies that saints aren't perfect either. The chorus repeats, then it's the bridge: "I was the outcast, the ghost of my muse. The artist who's buried beneath the acused. Now I'm a fire they'll never contain." Andy has mentioned before, about how everyone has a flame. And to never let anyone put that flame out, I love that he has this way of thinking. And that he placed it into this song. After the bridge, there's another instrumental part, then the choir sings. "Hallelujah, for my soul. Hallelujah, just let go. Hallelujah, praise the son. Hallelujah, broken one." Take that as you will. Then the chorus repeats a final time. There's one more instrumental part, and it finishes with the choir. I like the melody on this song, it's very soothing. But it has it's havier tones as well. Reviewing this song again, I think I understand it better now.
Track 6. Cut
There isn't really an intro to this one, the song kind of just starts. Oh also this song is a duet between Andy and his wife Lillith Czar. The first verse: "I've got a lot of pressure on my mind, every noise is a voice telling me to try. But I'm lost in all my darkness, and I can't let go. Every day I falter, every day I feel the pain. Kneel before the altar of all this rage, here's the truth. I never believed in you. Oo-ooh." I love how smooth the flow is of this verse, very satisfying. The chorus: "Cause you cut me down, yeah you cut me down again. Nothing's ever gonna be alright, it's time to say goodnight. I hear you praying to Jesus, you won't have to feel it. Nothing's ever gonna be alright, it's time to say goodnight." This deffinetly feels like what the world is like right now. But we can't let it keep us down for long. Also I think this song is talking about a past relationship, so it's probably not about the state of the world. The second verse, is where Lillith sings. Why do I have still have you on my mind? And why do I still struggle harder to breathe, (When I think of what you've done to me?) Every day's a battle when I'm living in the hate, rise above the surface but it's just too late. You still lose, never believed the truth, no." I made a connection to this part, when I first reviewed this song. So I'm gonna let the readers connect with this line. The chorus repeats, then we have the bridge. (This is one of my favourite bridges ever) "Round and round inside my mind, I'm losing sleep and losing time. But I know it's gonna be alright. (oh-oh-ohh) Round and round inside my mind, I'm losing sleep and losing time. But I know it's gonna be alright." This bridge plays in time, with the next repeat of the chorus. Then near the end of one of the repetitions, there's an amazing long note given by Lillith. It's amazing. Then there's an instrumental part. Before a final repeat of the chorus. And the song ends from there.
Track 7. Alive
Starting with the intro, we have this really cool riff at the start before it transfers into something more fast and heavy. Then that leads us into the first verse (which is screamed) "Oh, bless your heart, your perfect lies. Your truth that hides behind a false disguise, preaching love while you sharpen the blade. A backlash masquerade, you sip the wine, break the bread. Tear the flesh from the living dead. But hey, at least you're having fun. While the rest of us choke on the end of your gun." I know there's a message in here somewhere, but I don't know exactly what it is. The chorus: "I'm alive, and free of misery. You try to destroy me, but you know you're not holy. I'm alive, I bleed your tragedy. Fear can be deadly but you will not break me. Whoa, whoa, oh-oh-oh. Whoa, whoa, oh-oh-oh." The whoas, on a song is something that BVB is known for, but they always work so well. I like the uplifting message here. The last part especially. I also really like the set up, the chorus is kind of mixed. It has this up and down flow with the melody. The second verse: "You drag me down but I carry the weight, found your conscience, it's too late. Gospels are punchlines, prayers are fake. Let the evil in, now you reap what's left of. Earth is burning, cause you lit the flame. Just keep smiling through the shame, while you're busy hunting souls to frame." Very profound lyrics in here, I love that. Always have to give credit about good songwriting. The chorus then repeats, then we have the bridge: "All your certainty of what is good, it can betray you, maybe now it should. You think you're helping but you're just bored. Swinging your cross while you kill for sport, built your castle on spite and shame. But every grave you dig bears your name." Sometimes when you think you're doing something good, it can backfire. I think that's what they're implying here. After the bridge, there's an instrumental part. Which sounds really awesome! Love the guitar work here. The chorus repeats, and the bridge also repeats, leading into the outro. Which has lyrics! "Sing your hymns, play your part. Your cathedral's just a house of cards." I feel like this means, your power is a charade, a facade. A fake front, to hide nefarious purposes. Then the song ends.
Track 8. Purgatory (Overture IV)
This song, doesn't have any lyrics, so I'll just be reviewing this one by ear only. Starting off with the intro, we have a slow moving sound. Which has a very haunting element to it. The song then picks up a little bit, with this twinkle sound. Which sounds like it's done on a piano. It sounds very lovely, and I think there's some violin in there as well. One of the members Jinx, he plays violin for some of there songs, and he's amazing at it! Actually there was some violin work in the song Cut. I love how soothing this instrumental song is. It's very beautiful, and very satisfying to listen to. It sounds like there's some light drumming in here as well. I don't know if BVB have ever used a full ochestra on any of their tracks, but if they haven't they should consider it. I think it would sound so cool. I feel like this track, is a nice tie in for the album. It connects the tracks together, and makes for a cool listening experience. No, outro the song ends.
Track 9. Revenger
This song features an artist called Machine Head. I don't know anything about them, but they do have some awesome contributions to this track. Starting with the intro, there's a whisper of the title, then it goes into this heavy sound. I like how this sounds, because it's very interesting to listen to. This leads us into the first verse: (which is screamed) "Out of the dark, I rise for you. A shadow born by what I've been through, torn and broken, but I won't kneel. My fire inside burns to heal, you thought I'd fail. Drown in the lies, but I'm a death you can't survive." I like the concept that's being shown here, how the old saying "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" while also saying how even though, you've been knocked down, you can still make it through what happened. The pre-chorus: "No mercy left, no room for doubt. No holy ghost for the devout. Revenger." I don't really have an opinion on this section, other than the vocals on this. I think they sound cool. The chorus: "Whoa-oh, oh-oh. I hear you screaming, you'll die believing. Whoa-oh, oh-oh. The world is bleeding, there's no redeeming. No running, no hiding, no escape from me. Revenger. Your sin will set me free." I just feel like this section, is talking about the state of the world, straight up. I don't have much else to say about that. The second verse: "The world will hate me, silence my fight. But all true evil comes to the light. Every word, the hate you've shown. Are just weapons I've come to own, I've found my strength in the wounds I've made. You thought I'd fail, drown in the lies. But I'm a death you can't survive. Yeah, I'm a death you can't survive." Honestly I find this part relatable, because after all the trauma I have from a past relationship. I easily could have stayed in a really bad mental state, but I chose to live my life. To heal, and to grow and learn from what happened. The pre-chorus repeats, and then the chorus repeats. There's an instumental part, then we have the bridge: "Every tear that you cry you can justify the lies, every wound, every scar. You built this bullshit, here we are. I'll never stop until it's done, justice served to everyone. Look in my eyes, see your demise. This is the moment that you die, revenger." Well this took a turn, but I'll let you readers decide what it means. There's an instrumental part before the chorus repeats again. There isn't really an outro, since the last repetition of the chorus is drown out. I feel like this is a true metalcore song for the band, since they are typically a rock band. I like that they too the metalcore route with this song.
Track 10. Sorrow
This is one of my favourite songs on this album, it's amazing! And I'm going to tell you why! Starting with the intro, we have this almost ochestra sound. There's also a little bit of the chorus thrown in here too, but I'll save that for the actual chorus section. The rest of the intro has this epic guitar action. Backed up perfectly with the drums. Leading us into the first verse: "Now looking back, I know I let you down. And everything inside me heard it screaming out, I never told you how it felt. The devil seemed to have me figured out, won't let go." I'm not sure what this means exactly. So this will be open to interpretation. The chorus: "I fall down, I let you go. I'm broken, sink into my sorrow. I become my own shadow, I guess I know now what I am, I am the enemy. (I'm the enemy, I'm the enemy, I'm the enemy) My sorrow. (I'm the enemy, I'm the enemy, I'm the enemy) I am the enemy." I guess sometimes, we can seem to be someone else's enemy. Even when we don't mean to be, but some people can see us as that. There's an instrumental part, then the second verse: "I won't let it win now, I won't let it win now. My wasted days, I see them on my skin. I feel the weight, the pressure within. And what I did, won't let go." I can relate to this as well, because I'm at the point in my healing journey where I wish I never got involved with my ex. That's where the wasted days come into play here. Because I did waste so much of my time, and my heart on a relationship that wasn't healthy. The chorus repeats, and there's an instrumental part before the bridge: "I need it now to feel again, I need it now failure for my sins. I need it now to feel again, I need it now failure for my sins. All the hatred in me, floods for everything that I have done. I still feel. (The agony won't let go)" I love this song, for the melody, the lyrics, and the arrangment. Because it's all amazing, and I can connect with it. Then the chorus repeats two more times, and there is an outro for this song. It's that nice guitar and drum melody from the intro. I like how that's drawn out. Plus it ends really smoothly.
Track 11. Grace (Interlude)
I kind of like how this song title, has the same name as me lol. Interludes are a great bridge between songs on albums, they can be very atmospheric. It helps keep you in the moment. So this song's vibe, is very slow paced. The violin on this song, is so beautiful. Shout out to Jinx on the amazing violin work here. It's a short song, but still really impactful to the album.
Track 12. Ave Maria
The intro for this song, is a little short, but it still has a big impact. The heavy drum beat, sets the tone for this song. Then it immediately goes into the first verse: "You talk in tongues I never fucking understand, all of the victims we betray, I hear you crying. Out as you sit and bleed, under the spell of our mistakes. Do you wanna know, how I feel about the world today? There's not enough infernal words I know to say." That is true about a lot of things, happening in the world today. I won't make a direct connection for this verse, but let's just say that there's a lot of bad stuff going on. And if you the reader, wants to make a direct connection please go for it. The chorus: "So sing Ave Maria, for the shame. Whoa. So sing Ave Maria, heal the pain. Whoa, whoa." I'm a bit confused by this statement, not sure what they mean by this. So I'll leave this section alone. The second verse: "I yearn for all the years you held my helping hand, I know I'll never understand the way you're dying. Now I can hear your screams, and pray to hell I could redeem." For the vocals there's also some screaming mixed in here. But I like how this song is set up. I think this section, could be talking about someone struggling mentally. The chorus repeats, then we have the bridge: "So now you hate me, don't wanna save me. And after all I've done, you moved on. All of the victims we betray, I hear you crying. Now I can hear your screams, and pray to hell I could redeem. You want your voice, for power you will die. But what's divine, we don't decide." I can tell these are meaningful lyrics, I just can't describe them that well. But I do know, they are trying to capture a feeling. They want you to think about what they're saying. Try to find the story. The chorus repeats a final time, and we have the outro with lyrics! "You still wonder why all my empathy died, used my kindness, then you threw me down. You still expect the fire to burn, never noticed that you put it out." Okay, this one I think I can decipher. They're talking about being used, and how your kindness can be taken advantage of. Something I know all too well. This band has such great songwriting. I also like the heavier tracks on this album.
Track 13. Woe & Pain
This is one of my favourite songs on this album. It's so beautiful, and meaningful. We start, we with a little slow melody. Done on piano. Then it shifts into guitar. Bringing us to the first verse: "Here I find myself, in a pool of blood. Sitting in a home I built below the God above, and the walls are cracked and the air is thick. And all I see are just hollow and sick." I like the deilvery on this verse, Andy's vocals are so smooth in this section. There's a little pre-chorus: "And now these regrets keep coming, every time that I rise up I'm falling. Someday I'll find strength to get out of this. Someday I'll break through, the demons sing." Very motivantional stuff right there. I know this has encouraged me to keep going, and healing. The chorus: "(Whoa, whoa) this is the house of woe and pain. (Woe, woe) I'm not staying I will break down. The chains that hold in here, the walls that keep me in fear. No more. (Whoa) This is where the vengeance has to end." Very true. At some point, you have to move on and live your life. I know that a lot of people struggle with depression every day, and I know how easy it is to say it will get better. But it can be very difficult to believe that. I may not know exactly what it feels like, but there was a point in my life where I was depressed. It was in high school. And I had thoughts, where I didn't think anyone would notice if I didn't show up. I was never suicidal, but I did feel like no one would care if I wasn't at school. I can promise you, that someone out there will listen to you. And it's okay to ask for help, sometimes it can be the strongest thing you can do. How this relates to this song, is because of what they mean by house of woe and pain. To me, that's an analogy for depression. There's an instrumental part, before the second verse. It sounds really cool. Very drum heavy, with a hint of something electronic. The second verse: "I used to think that I'd never leave, and all these ghosts they just seem to be a part of me. But every step I take as my mind gets clear, the whispers fade and then they disappear. Paradise lost, it's just a lie. I reign in worlds beneath the sky, no more shadows, no more fear. I'm walking out. (I'm not dying here)" Yes! You fight with all you have, and when it feels like you can't anymore, fight harder! The chorus repeats, there's some screaming at a cut off. Then some instrumental parts thrown in there. Then the chorus repeats a final time. And the outro, has some lyrics. "(Whoa, whoa) The flames may rise, the torture never ends. (Whoa, whoa) but this is where I will begin again." A rise from the ashes, type deal. Then song ends, very quickly after that last line. Because it fades into the last song.
Track 14. Eschaton
Here we are! The last track of the album! And I think it's the perfect way to wrap up this masterpiece. I'm not sure how to pronouce the title. But it's a good song regardless. Very short though. The intro, as that soothing tone. That we heard in the instrumental tracks. Then we go into the song. "I guess that I pretend to be okay, feeling sicker every day. Sins of the past, you'll never know the real me, on the stage. Never see the face of shame, I hid it so well. Everything I've said, is laced with dread. Vindication only works out when you're dead, it's no way to live. So through the empty, awful memories. Just keep fighting on, life is never won. Just keep fighting on, life is never won." This has to be, one of the most deep and emotional tracks I have ever written about. And he's right, you don't know the person you see on stage. Only what they perform for the audience. But he also conveys how human every one really is. And the way Andy sings this one, is so beautiful. He has his slowed down, vibrato flowing so smoothly through every word. Like the song says "Just keep fighting on" no matter what you're going through, I hope you always stay strong, and fight. Especially on days where it feels like you can't. I love this song, I feel like it wraps up the album perfectly.
My final thoughts on this album, are I give it a 10/10 rating! I love it, I think it's beautiful and connects you with your feelings, and makes you think. Until next time, happy listening! :) RAWR XD <3
Wow this was a long one, so much to think about. I think it easy to go to some dark place in your thoughts, especially if it is a personal memory. I can relate to most of these lyrics on a personal level and that can be eerily calming. We are all so different in so many ways, but we share so many similarities at the same time. I think what this music speaks to me is my fear of the unknown. Sometimes the thoughts I have may seem ridiculous or unexplainably random. I don't know how to process all the feelings, emotions, fears and constant analyzation that consumes my thoughts. This is hitting pretty deep, but I am glad that in some ways songs like these can give comfort in there own way. I like to think I have an open mind when it comes to new music, my taste varies greatly from genre to genre. I love the reviews, they are always a great read and I look forward to the next one.
ReplyDelete